Mailbox Installation Guide
Here is a helpful guide to follow for your mailbox installation:
- Position your mailbox 41″ to 45″ from the road surface to the bottom of the mailbox or point of mail entry.
- Place your mailbox 6″ to 8″ back from the curb. If you do not have a raised curb, contact your local postmaster for guidance.
- Put your house or apartment number on the mailbox.
- If your mailbox is on a different street from your house or apartment, put your full street address on the box.
- If you are attaching the box to your house, make sure the postal carrier can reach it easily from your sidewalk, steps, or porch.
Installing the Mailbox Post
- A 4″ x 4″ wooden support or a 2″-diameter standard steel or aluminum pipe.
- Avoid unyielding and potentially dangerous supports, like heavy metal pipes, concrete posts, and farm equipment (e.g., milk cans filled with concrete).
- Bury your post no more than 24″ deep.
Approved Door Slots
Some homes and apartments have a slot in the door for receiving mail rather than a mailbox. The standards for an approved door slot are:
- The opening must be at least 1 1/2″ x 7″.
- The bottom of the slot must be at least 30″ above floor.
- Horizontal slots must have a flap hinged at the top.
- Vertical slots must be hinged on the opposite side from the door’s hinges.
Inside Door Slot Hoods
The standards for approved inside door slot hoods are:
- The hood should not project more than 2 1/16″ beyond the inside of the door.
- On a horizontal slot, the hood should not extend below the bottom of the outside plate.
- On a vertical slot, the hood should not extend beyond the side of the outside plate on same side as the door’s hinges.
Mailboxes take a beating from the weather, so we recommend an annual mailbox checkup to avoid damage to your mail or difficulty identifying your address.
- Tighten loose hinges on the door
- Take care of rusty or loose parts
- Replace missing or faded house numbers
- Keep the path to your mailbox clear
The above information was gathered from the official site of the USPS.